Anger, Fear, & Freedom

Here's a quick snippet of what I learned today.

Sometimes we enjoy being angry. 

For to no longer be angry, we must decide to move on. 
To move on, we must decide to forgive.
To forgive, we must admit that we were hurt. 
To admit we were hurt, we must acknowledge that we are not always in control.
To acknowledge our lack of control, we must admit we are fearful. 

Therefore, to flee from fear, we often run to anger. Anger is easier. Anger allows us to pretend we have power. Anger allows us to trust in ourselves rather than anyone else. It lets us pretend that we have it all together because someone else caused the problem. But it keeps us from being authentic. It keeps us from freedom. And it keeps us from real love.

The good news is that God is love. And perfect love drives out fear. 


You whom I took from the ends of the earth, and called from its farthest corners, saying to you, “You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off"; fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand...For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not; I am the one who helps you.” Isaiah 41:9-10, 13

Jesus said, “Do not fear, only believe.” Mark 5:36

So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world. There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:16-19

So take heart. Even in the midst of anger or fear, Jesus still reigns. He still loves. Run to Him. He is freedom.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give Them Jesus

Waiting on Sunday

Passionately Seeking