Speak Life

I consider myself to be fluent in sarcasm. 

In thinking lately of how I use my words, I've decided that sarcasm probably makes up a good percentage of how I communicate, especially with friends and family. I love to jest, joke, and poke gentle fun. As an oldest sibling, I have a natural tendency to (playfully) pick on others. In my opinion, some of the most fun conversations involve witty, sarcastic banter. It (usually) seems harmless, but I've come to find that really it often lacks sincerity, substance, or grace. 

The more negative side of my verbal personality is that I have a tendency to be intentionally harsh with my words. I have a temper, so when fired up, I'm pretty skilled at throwing out a quick, hurtful quip. I often react quickly, which leads to me saying things I probably wouldn't have the nerve to say if I wasn't angry. 

On top of those things, how easy is it to complain? I can get caught up in this, as well. I have found a discontented, complaining heart to be so dangerous because it is so unbelievably normal. So many people that you interact with each day are dissatisfied and spend their time complaining about one thing or another; our conversations often end up being vicious cycles of one-upping one another with our trivial little personal dramas.

No wonder the Bible talks about our words so much. There are so many ways to stumble. I haven't even mentioned lying, slandering, gossip, manipulation, etc........

We (read "I") need to take our words seriously. Whether or not we recognize it, they carry immense weight in both our lives and the lives of those around us. Proverbs 18:21 says, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue." Death and life, people. If that doesn't make you take what you say seriously, check out Matthew 12:36-37 as Jesus says, "I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." This is intense stuff. I will stand before a holy God and give account for every careless word I have uttered. That's definitely a reality check. Imagine trying to explain to God about that insult you muttered just loud enough for someone to hear or about how you didn't demonstrate thankfulness but instead spent your time complaining. Or worse, imagine fumbling around for an explanation on how your words turned someone away from the gospel. NO THANKS. 

For further proof on the power of our words, Proverbs 15:4 tells us that, "A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit." Do we ever consider that we have the power to break someone's (including our own) spirit just by what we say? That in itself is reason enough to examine our conversation. And as far as complaining? Philippians 2:14 is pretty straightforward: "Do all things without grumbling." 

These few verses are enough for me to try to gear my conversations in another direction. I don't expect to be perfect in this. I will be discontent some days. My temper isn't going to go away overnight. And sarcasm can sometimes genuinely be funny and harmless. But I can switch my emphasis from sputtering careless, semi-entertaining babble to speaking life through grace and truth. Ephesians 4:29 encourages us in this pursuit by saying, "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouth, but only such is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." Some of the people who have made the biggest impact on my life have been those that use their words for genuine good and encouragement, leading me to better understand the goodness and character of God. That's a huge calling to strive to fulfill, but by God's grace, our words can truly make that kind of positive impact.

May these Psalms point us to our gracious Savior as we endeavor to speak life:

Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips! Psalm 141:3

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give Them Jesus

Waiting on Sunday

I Left My Heart in Southeast Asia...