Darkness and Light


To be honest, I’m feeling overwhelmed today.

At first, that seems a bit absurd to say. My life is going pretty well. I have started a new job that I enjoy, my friendships are stronger than ever, and I’ve had a lot of fun opportunities lately. Plus, it’s a beautiful, sunny day in Oklahoma.

But even (especially) on the sunny days, there are still shadows. I am constantly being confronted by brokenness, pain, and suffering.


There are so many horrors in the world. ISIS is on a murderous rampage. I can’t stop thinking about the flight in which 150 people plummeted to their deaths in the French Alps. Young women and girls are being trafficked as sex slaves. People are dying from war, hunger, and natural disasters.

Then there are the things that hit closer to home: Violent and unpredictable storms threatening already-ravaged communities. The huge issue of racism that’s just beginning to be dealt with at my alma mater. Broken families and broken homes, many existing under a facade of happiness. Personal friends struggling with abuse, relationship problems, depression, infertility, unemployment, financial trouble, sickness, and death of loved ones.

Even in my own rather comfortable life, fear, apprehension, insecurity, doubt, anger, and sin still linger.


Some days it all seems to be too much. I can't fix the problems in the world. I struggle to find the words to comfort a friend. I falter in believing the power of the gospel in my own life.

But, as He does, God has a way of reminding me that He has not left us to struggle on our own. I am led to one of my favorite passages, Romans 8:18-30:

18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now.23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.



There is so much that can be gleaned from this passage, but a few things stand out, namely that all of creation is groaning together. We know there is something better, and we know we are not yet there. Even those of us who have received unending salvation and joy in Christ still live in this broken world. We have been set free, but we are still eagerly waiting and hoping for the final promised redemption to come.

Verse 26 has been a comfort to me for many years. There are times that I don’t know what to pray. I can’t even begin to articulate the things that are in my heart, but the Spirit can interpret those things and intercede for me. What a relief it is to know that someone can speak on my behalf when I am speechless!

It is even more of a relief to know that there is someone who can act in my behalf when I am powerless. It is true that I can’t solve these problems; I may not even be able to make a dent in them. But I know the One who works all things for good. I know the One who will enact His justice while simultaneously displaying grace and mercy. I know the One who will be exalted in glory.
I find myself wondering what Jesus felt as he was approaching the time of his betrayal, suffering, and crucifixion. He saw the darkness awaiting Him on the cross; in fact, he was walking straight into it! He knew that He would be taking all of that upon Himself. But He pressed on in obedience, trusting that God was sovereign and loving.

So in His life lies our response; yes, we are troubled by darkness on all sides. But we trust in the One who gave His life to bring light to ours. We press on in hope. We love and serve where we can, and we trust in Christ to complete the mission. Rather than being overwhelmed by the depth of the world's troubles, we allow ourselves to be overwhelmed by the vastness and depth of God's love for His children.

Light always defeats even the deepest darkness – may we be reminded of and encouraged by this beautiful reality.

Comments

  1. I've missed your blog posts, such a good post! I may or may not be a personal friend struggling with things, but know that I see your love for me in the small and meaningful ways and you don't need to solve my problems or heal my pains, just having you as a friend to (metaphorically) hold my hand is enough. But through your whole blog post I had one song just keeping running through my head "we will not be shaken" by Bethal Music. A line in the songs says that though darkness is against us He has overcome. That's the hope I have! HE is the one who overcomes and we are victorious just by loving Him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Give Them Jesus

Waiting on Sunday

I Left My Heart in Southeast Asia...