Speechless Hearts

I've been going through Romans recently with my friend Chelsae, and the past 2 weeks we've been studying one of my favorite chapters -- Romans 8. There is so much truth and hope in that passage, so I was excited when we finally got to it. I've always clung to verse 28, loving that fact that God promises that He is working things for good. But this time, it was the verses preceding it that encouraged me in a big way. 


Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is  the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. Romans 8:26-27


How incredible is that? We know that believers in Christ have been given the Spirit, but we often don't think about what it actually means. The Spirit is interceding on our behalf. That's amazing! How many times have I tried calling out to Jesus, but I simply don't know what to say? How many times have I been unable to articulate the cries of my heart? How many times have I said, "Jesus, I don't know what to say, but I know I desperately need You?" And each and every time I am at a loss for words, the Spirit knew exactly what my heart was saying and was able to put my emotions and longings into words. There are times that my heart aches with "groanings too deep for words", but the Spirit is able to take these to the Father and essentially translate for me. I am not alone in this; I don't have to have the right words to say for God to know my heart. This caused me to recall another verse I love:


O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you. Psalm 38:9


Longings and sighs are not things we can really articulate or demonstrate. But again, these things are not hidden. I can breathe a sigh of relief, not only knowing that God sees my longings and sighs, but that the Spirit is revealing and explaining those unsearchable depths of my heart to the Father. 


So, even when I don't know the words to say or I can't even understand what my heart is feeling, the Spirit is able to discern my desires and longings. I can cry out to Jesus even when I can't speak. Hallelujah! 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Give Them Jesus

Waiting on Sunday

Passionately Seeking