Baking for the Glory of God

I love to bake.

This is something I have recently discovered. I've always liked to bake (and cook, for that matter). However, until I moved into my apartment and finally had my own kitchen (besides the fact that I share it with 3 other girls), I didn't realize how much I enjoyed it. Now, I'm not an amazing chef -- I don't make 10-course dinners or spend hours meticulously decorating cakes, and I don't really have the time or funds to make a lot of things completely from scratch, but I would say my creations are fairly edible. :)
(Part of the reason I love fall is all the awesome seasonal things available to bake!) 

So now I know that I love to bake.
And I also know that I can do it for the glory of God.

We've all heard about using our "spiritual gifts" to serve God and those around us, and that is a very valid point, one that should not be taken lightly. 1 Peter 4:10-11 says, "As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen."
I fully believe God has gifted me with spiritual gifts and that I can use those for His kingdom's glory. But I also believe that He can use even the smallest things to bring glory to Himself.

For example, I can cook a meal for someone in need, bake something for a ministry event, or even just cook for my roommates after a rough week. In all of those situations, I am being a blessing to others and simply showing the love that Christ has placed in my heart, the love with which He first loved me.

And it's not just baking. I love to be organized and to plan (weird thing to love, I know). I enjoy getting things in order. This can be very useful in serving the church. It's even useful in getting my own life organized and managed so that I have time to serve God in other ways.
I like to write, and I like to encourage others. I can combine those things and write encouraging notes to friends who are struggling or friends who are really allowing God to use them.
I like sports. I can play sports with a group of people and have the chance to get to know them and share life with them.

This list could go on and on. In each and every thing, I have the opportunity to serve Christ. Too many times, when we think "service", we think "obligations" or "boring" or "difficult". In reality, that is so untrue! God made us with certain abilities, interests, and desires. That was no accident. So why wouldn't He want us to use those for Him, and to enjoy ourselves while we're at it? He wants good for us; He has come that we may have abundant life and that our joy would be complete. (John 10:10, 15:11). We have the ability to enjoy serving!

God tells us to do everything for His glory. "Whatever you eat or drink, do it all for the glory of God...", "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might...", "For you were bought with a price, so glorify God...". (1 Corinthians 10:31, Ecclesiastes 9:10, 1 Corinthians 6:20)
After all, we were created for His glory! Isaiah 43:7 says that He calls us by name, He formed us and made us, and created us for His own glory! How awesome is that?

So get out there and do what you love. God gives us interests for a reason; He wants us to be joyful. Spread that joy around. God will use it for your good and His glory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give Them Jesus

Waiting on Sunday

Passionately Seeking