Contentment: Deep Trust & Deep Joy

While driving in my car today, God spoke deep into my heart about contentment. 


I was listening to a podcast sermon by David Platt (imagine God speaking through that guy). The point David was making was about being single vs. being in a relationship. He challenged my idea of thinking by stating that singleness and marriage are both gifts from God. I think many of us have viewed marriage as a gift and singleness as the absence of the gift. That couldn't be more wrong. It is easy for us to understand marriage as a gift, but singleness is proven valuable many times in the New Testament, especially in 1 Corinthians 7. 


David Platt continued to challenge me when he said the issue is more than deciding whether we have been given the gift of marriage or singleness; it is whether or not we are content in God. 


For me, this applies to more than relationships. I think many of us are torn between two things, even if both options are great: singleness or relationship, career or family, school or career, one dream or another, etc. The grass is always greener on the other side, right? Those who are single want to find Mr. Right, those in school wish they were in a career, and on and on. But it really comes down to contentment; are we content in the situation God has put us in with the gift He has given us? Are we content in our Savior and Creator?


Later on in his sermon, David defined contentment as "a deep trust in the sovereignty of God and deep joy in the grace of God". (Granted, this is not word for word...I was driving, after all. Not the best time to take notes.) That definition floored me. In my life, David Platt was right. It isn't an issue about whether this thing or that thing is better, this situation or that one is more suitable. It's an issue of contentment.


Do I trust with all my heart that God is good, that He is sovereign over all, and that He is working out His plan?
Do I rejoice in the Lord because of all He's done?
Do I take joy in the grace He constantly lavishes over me? 


Not always. 


God wants me to see that He is enough. He wants me to desire to be with Him and to trust Him in every situation.
After all, He is the one that I will spend eternity with. 
I won't be dealing with these earthly situations, but will be forever in His presence. 


So, while I'm here, I need to make the most of whatever gift He gives me, whatever situation He puts me in. The situation doesn't necessarily matter, for one isn't inherently better than the other; it's what we do in that situation. It's all for His glory.


Father, forgive me for not being content in Your presence. Help me to trust in Your complete sovereignty and goodness. Remind me that You are working all things for my good and Your glory. Help me to continually rejoice in the grace You lavish on me. Teach me to be content, for all of You is more than enough. Thank you for Your love, Your grace, and Your provision. Wherever you lead me in life, use me for the advancement of Your name and Your kingdom. To You be the glory. Amen.


Check out "The Gospel and Singleness" message from the Brook Hills podcast (David Platt). (released 6/8/08)

Comments

  1. I really needed to hear this Bethany. Thanks so much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Give Them Jesus

Waiting on Sunday

Passionately Seeking