Friendship

God knows what He is doing. 


Obvious statement, but sometimes it takes me a while to see the obvious. 
He has been showing me His faithfulness and provision in the area of friendships. 


Take Anna Humphrey for instance. I've known her since freshman year, but not too well. Lately, however, God has brought her into my life and we have been able to become closer. Turns out, we've been going through some of the same issues, and talking with her is such an encouragement. God's timing is perfect, and He knew exactly when our paths should intersect. Ecclesiastes 3 says, "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven." God knew exactly when Anna & I would be able to connect most, even though we've been around each other for some time. He set up that community. After all, He wants us to be in community; that is why He blesses us with friendship. Proverbs talks about iron sharpening iron, and John says that there is no greater love than laying your life down for your friends. Finally, 1 Thessalonians 2:8 talks about sharing not only the gospel, but our lives with others. 


I am thankful for those who have shared their lives with me and shown me what friendship looks like. This is how people have shown their friendship to me:


Friendship is spending time together.
Friendship is bearing one another's burdens.
Friendship is buying me coffee. :)
Friendship is crying with me, laughing with me, or just sitting with me.
Friendship is getting on your knees, praying with me. 
Friendship is being generous with your time and possessions.
Friendship is listening. 
Friendship is being my home away from home. 
Friendship is forgiving. 
Friendship is studying God's word together. 
Friendship is long conversations. 
Friendship is opening your home to me. 
Friendship is sharing your own experiences. 
Friendship is honesty.
Friendship is being vulnerable, then not judging me when I'm vulnerable back. 
Friendship is loving me when I am unlovable. 
Friendship is giggling uncontrollably. 
Friendship is worshipping together and serving together.
Friendship is the random texts, calls, or messages, letting me know you care.
Friendship is encouragement.
Friendship is asking the hard questions. 
Friendship is trust.
Friendship is serving me and letting me serve you. 
Friendship is being an example.
Friendship is pointing me back to the gospel, time and time again. 


I could go on and on. I have been blessed with a wealth of friends who have stood by my side through the good and the bad. So this is for you, friends, especially those of you I will be celebrating your birthday with this weekend: Kaydee, Abi, Kim, & Molly. 
For the rest of you, you know who you are. :) 


Thank you for your friendship and for showing me what community looks like. 


Link to Anna's blog



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give Them Jesus

Waiting on Sunday

Passionately Seeking